Sunday, January 20, 2008

Future Artist



Karlie has always been one to test mommy's boundaries especially when it comes to art works. We've had the day that she painted herself up with RED nail polish, which unfortunately I have no pictures of because I was too freaked out about how to get it off of her and the little red footprints off the bathroom floor (covered from head to toe in red, she had poured it in her hands & rubbed it on herself). The day she put my 8 hour long lasting lipstick on or the day she used my mascara or drawing on the wall with crayon or pens. There was also the Valentine's Day she colored in crayon on my linoleum kitchen floor. Needless to say there have been many a day of saying "only color in your coloring book not on anything else". Bottom line is with children, if it is quiet for longer then a minute, chances are they're into something they shouldn't be. I've learned to roll with the punches now. I give Karlie those bath crayons and she can hop in the bathtub whether she's having a bath or not and doodle away, walls & all. She even washes it all off when she's done. Today we got a very special drawing, one I was very touched by. It was our family. This is the first time she's drawn people & animals, usually she just goes for shapes. I was really impressed. From left to right on her picture: Karlie, daddy, mommy, Tanner, Maggie (our dog), and Figaro & Nala (our cats). Beautiful work Karlie! Even though these little past works of Karlie have tested me, they've taught me to be more patient, and both of us learn from them, and they also have made life in the Gustafson Household very memorable. So do you think I have a future artist in my house...you be the judge. :)

3 comments:

-V- said...

Great post! You definitely have an artist on your hands... If she's anything like mommy and daddy, looks like she'll end up with some long legs as well! ;-)

FamilyGus said...

I know, I had to giggle at those legs. I also thought it especially bright that she made Tanner & the animals smaller then us. I think they make look wonderfully tall & willowy. :)

-V- said...

It's all very genius, really... Makes sense too. From that height, looking up all the time, I'm sure adult legs DO look that long. :-) A precious perspective on life through a child's eyes...