Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Do animals get cold?

OK, I came up with this question sitting in my comfy recliner and gazing out my bay window at my yard. Five beautiful deer ran across my yard jumping my ditches with no effort at all even with all the snow. They looked like magnificent creatures with their thick fur and their breath showing due to the freezing weather. But the weather didn't look like it bothered them. Also, when we did the sleigh ride those big horses were sweating with steam rolling off their thick coat of fur. They didn't seem bothered by it either. I'm going to tell you it would take me more then a thick coat of fur to live outside...it would take about 80 degrees. So my question is, do you think they actually keep a decent temp? I mean they must because you don't see them frozen all over the place. They actually seem to enjoy it. How do they do it???

2 comments:

-V- said...

Ooh - this is a GREAT question for Ed. I was JUST thinking that exact thing this morning when I took the dogs out and they seem to have no issue pawing around for a place to go... for WAY too long. Maybe it has something to do with their body temp being set at a different norm? (Though deer and horses and dogs are mammals, so can't imagine they'd be too different from us). I'll ask Ed... ;-)

FamilyGus said...

Can't wait to hear what Ed says!