I asked Adam last night at dinner if he thought back to when we first met, if he ever thought that in his future he had forseen a dinner conversation containing a cell phone talk with Strawberry Shortcake (fake of course, but all the same). As parents we have become increasingly good story tellers at the drop of a hat. Most of these creative stories seem to come at dinner time as a way to get Karlie to eat on days she really doesn't feel like it. With a 3 year old there are days she'll wolf down 2 waffles, a couple sandwiches, apple, and whatever supper is, and then others she only eats a few bites of everything. Adam's mom laughed one day at me when Karlie wasn't eating her bread but breaking it up to feed to her stuffed whale. I told her to eat it & she said no it was whale food & I said no it was too big to be whale food the whale would choke on it so she better eat it quick & she did. His mom laughed because she was like...you didn't even have to stop & think about that it just came right out like a natural conversation. There are days (and Adam came up with this) that we have to persuade her that her food needs to go home to their mommies & daddies (that would be the previous pieces eaten before) so she gobbles them right up so they won't be lonely.
Now for the Strawberry Shortcake story (and again Thank you Adam for the quick thinking) because mom was at a frustrated point. Karlie had a melt down at the dinner table. She got into trouble for not listening to mom & running into brother with his bike that he practices pulling up on to walk. SO she just kept crying at the table. Adam came in for dinner and (just naturally I might say) picked up Karlie's Strawberry Shortcake cellphone & started talking to Strawberry. This is somewhat of the conversation that took place, "Well hello Strawberry, are you looking for Karlie, well she's eating her dinner right now & can come over after she eats good, Honey your horse hurt herself, oh no, so Karlie needs to hurry up and eat & then bring her rescue pack (she got one for Chirstmas, it's from Go, Diego, Go cartoon) down to help out, then maybe we can ride Honey." Well Karlie went for this and ate all her supper. I just looked at Adam and bit my lip to keep from giggling. That's when I asked him, "Did you ever think you would be having this dinner conversation". He let out a laugh and said no way. You would think we would have really intelligent conversations at dinner time with each other that is, but these have really been the kind of conversations we now hold with each other at dinner. So the question I ask you is, "what kind of conversations do you hold at your dinner table". I'm looking for some really creative input. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I just caught on that you had a blog! I'm a little slow but I come around. I have enjoyed reading today.
Our dinner conversations are still much the same as they used to be so I don't have much to add. Other than she gives me dirty looks when I have the nerve to serve her green beans. And gags on anything with textures. Those days our conversations are about how ridiculous she is. I look forward to becoming a con-artist though. I think I could be good at that.
Thanks for the comments, by the way! I'm glad you have the same feelings about the I Falls ER :)
Tanner doesn't like the green beans either. I have to commo them up with a fruit. I've become very tricky & sly as a mommy. Thanks for checking out the blog!
Jen - you are absolutely the cutest, and I LOVE learning your tricky, sly mommy tricks! :-) Our dinner habits are going to need to DRASTICALLY change as we begin life with a little one...
Tonight we had 15 minutes between my running in the house and off to a class at church. In that time, we were able to quickly establish that each of our days went fine, and Ed was supportive of answers I put on a reflective assignment I did for the class at church. Your Strawberry Shortcake conversations might be nurturing more of a special bond between the two of you than you would expect! :-)
We definately have interesting conversations most contain the kids, but they are our joy. It makes us laugh and it keeps our relationship alive and well, and definately a special bond there. I can't wait to here more stories of Eva.
Post a Comment